Exposure strategies is a concept that enables merchandisers to have Apptus eSales optimise its algorithms for product exposure towards different business goals.
There are three different exposure strategies available and are set per market in the Business app.
- Expose higher priced products (Revenue focus)
- Expose high margin products (Profit focus)
- Expose products that sell more (Conversion focus)
Each product returned in a panel supporting exposure strategies has a momentary popularity value, a strategy score, based on the selected exposure strategy. The optimal period of time for the strategy score is automatically and individually chosen per product.
Exposure strategies also work when using the Search hits panel by itself or in a zone. The panel must use the Sort by relevance sort order as the primary sort level in the
Before selecting an exposure strategy it is recommended to perform a built in A/B test between the strategies. An A/B test will establish the effect of switching exposure strategy on a site.
Metrics for conversions, revenue, and profit can be monitored throughout the test period. The results will provide a merchandiser with information on how the different strategies affect goal metrics and inform of potential trade-offs.
This form of testing of competing strategies is built into eSales and allows for merchandisers to make an informed decision based on actual performance.
The key use cases for exposure strategies include payday optimisation and discount period optimisation. Read more about use cases and best sales practices on the Exposure strategies page on Apptus.com.
Panels supporting exposure strategies¶
Depending on what panel is used, exposure strategies are utilised either fully or partially. Panels that partially utilise exposure strategies, such as the Autocomplete panel, use exposure strategies on product backfill. Multi-level sorting will affect exposure strategies.
Exposure strategies are fully utilised in:
- Product list panel, when using relevance or sales as sort order
- Product list with count zone, when using relevance or sales as sort order
- Search hits panel, when using relevance or sales as sort order
- Search hits with count zone, when using relevance or sales as sort order
- Search zone, when using relevance or sales as sort order
Exposure strategies are partially utilised in:
- Product list panel, when using personal as sort order
- Product list with count zone, when using personal as sort order
- Autocomplete panel
- Did-you-mean panel
- Product suggestions panel